I know I need to focus more on self-care, but just getting through the day with a 9 to 5 and running a business can often be overwhelming. Adding in self care? Who has time for that?
Most of us think of self care as occasionally reading a novel or closing the bathroom door so the kids can’t burst in and interrupt or maybe even getting a massage here and there. The truth is self care can be any of those things if that’s what you like but it’s much bigger than that. When you are doing activities consistently that support your overall wellness, you're practicing self care. With the holiday stress here in full effect, it’s important to be reminded of self care and how to integrate it into your everyday life.
- Make a list of things that you actually enjoy
- Schedule at least one of those activities from the list, per week
- Follow through by saving them in your calendar to remind yourself.
Here is my list…
- Put down my phone for 1 hour
- Say “No”
- Do something nice for someone else
- Journal or color
- Light a candle and listen to relaxing music
- Get outside and clear my mind
- Play with my puppy, dress her up and take pictures of her (she'll love it)
- Get a massage
- Create something
- Take a break and do nothing
The hardest part for me was taking the time to schedule them on my calendar but if I can do it, so can you. Feel free to share your self care list below. Happy Holidays!
Latoya Nicole is a bestselling author, mental health professional and social entrepreneur. She is creating her own lane while bringing diversity to adult coloring books that are aimed to help women relieve stress. Her coloring books have been featured in O, The Oprah Magazine, Curly Nikki, Black Enterprise, Madame Noire, Official Black Wall Street and more. Being passionate about uplifting females in the community she also teaches emerging entrepreneurs how to start and market their online businesses. Find her at https://iamlatoyanicole.com .